DCSIMG

heartbreak as pet cat is poisoned

Dead Cat ps1140-36
Cat Died Eating Anti Freeze
Jenna Hind

Dead Cat ps1140-36 Cat Died Eating Anti Freeze Jenna Hind

A PREGNANT woman has been left heartbroken after her pet cat died as a result of poisoning.

Jenna Hind, of Morton Lane, Beverley, is now warning other cat owners to be on guard after her one-year-old tortoise shell cat Poppy died on Saturday.

Jenna believes Poppy ingested a chemical on Wednesday last week, the effects of which were already showing when Poppy was called in for her tea that evening.

“She was called in and was not really responsive.

“She was at the bottom of the garden.

“My mum went to pick her up and her back legs were paralysed and she had been violently sick everywhere.

“She was not eating or drinking,” Jenna said.

Worried, Jenna took Poppy to Swanbridge Vets in Swanland on Thursday, where a number of tests were run to try to find the cause of Poppy’s sudden illness.

It was confirmed Poppy was suffering from acute renal failure as a result of ingesting poison, crystals of which were found in her stomach.

Jenna, who is due to give birth in seven weeks, said: “I got a phone call on Saturday morning saying there was nothing more they could do for her.

“I’ve got another cat – Chloe – and I can’t let her out. She is devastated and wondering where her sister is.”

“It’s heartbreaking,” she added.

Although it cannot be confirmed, Jenna has her suspicions that Poppy was purposefully poisoned.

She never ventured far from home and Jenna said she could always hear Poppy’s bell as she moved around.

“I don’t have any evidence of where it happened.

“Poppy is the first cat in Beverley to be poisoned with a certain chemical but I know there have been problems in Dunswell and Woodmansey,” Jenna said.

Jenna got Poppy from the Cats Protection League as a kitten after her mother was run over.

“We took her in and tried to give her the best start in life.

“It’s just really sad that her life ended in pain really,” she said.

She added: “I can’t do anything else. I’m just trying to let people know that it is happening again.

“I definitely don’t want this to happen to anyone else. I would not wish this on anybody.”

A spokesperson for Humberside Police said the force was aware of the incident but is not aware of any other similar cases in Beverley at this time.

However, police have appealed for anyone with information about the incident, who thinks their cat may have ingested chemicals, or who has seen chemicals being left out in a place easily accessible by cats or dogs, to contact them on 0845 6060222, quoting log 176 of 30/9/11.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page