Last month, Member of Parliament for Beverley and Holderness, Graham Stuart launched a petition to Government to seek a resolution with the Association of British Insurers to find a replacement for the Statement of Principles that ensures home flood insurance remains available and affordable.
On Tuesday March 19, Councillors John Dennis and Mike Bryan were joined by Beverley resident Les Diment and National Flood Forum member Ron Smith to travel to London to hand the petition in to No 10 Downing Street.
Graham said, “Ministers are seeking a lasting solution that ensures affordable insurance for those at flood risk without placing unsustainable costs on wider policyholders and the taxpayer but a solution has not yet been confirmed.
“My constituents with homes at significant risk of flooding are concerned that they will be unable to afford to insure their homes; there is a danger that people could leave themselves unprotected.
“The residents of Beverley and Holderness have petitioned the Prime Minister to urge the Government to negotiate with the Association of British Insurers to reach an agreement to succeed the ‘statement of principles’.”
National Flood Forum member Ron Smith from Burstwick said, “It’s outrageous that it has taken over two and a half years for Government and the insurance industry to fail to come to a decision on the future of flood risk insurance. They really need to get their act together, otherwise, after June many thousands of people will be left without insurance and unable to buy or sell their homes. There is a real risk of blight for communities in high risk areas.”