DCSIMG

Blaze rips through Beverley home

editorial image

editorial image

 

Five people escaped from the first floor window of a property which caught fire in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The blaze ripped through the property in Newton Drive, Beverley, on Wednesday 4 June leaving it “completely uninhabitable” according to a Humberside Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson.

A 48-year-old man, 49-year-old woman, 24-year-old man, and two 20-year-old women, were helped from the burning property before the fire service arrived at 3.19am.

The five people were treated for smoke inhalation and four of them were taken to Hull Royal Infirmary. The 49-year-old woman was is also being treated for a suspected broken ankle. One of the 20-year-old women is being treated for a deep laceration along with smoke inhalation.

The fire is thought to have started from an electrical fault in the under stairs cupboard of the detached house, and is being treated a non-suspicious by Humberside Police.

Three fire alarms were triggered in the property and paramedics also attended the scene taking three of the people to hospital.

A spokesperson for the Fire Service said: “It is key for us to highlight the importance of working smoke alarms to give an early warning when a fire breaks out. The smoke alarms gave the family an early warning which alerted them to the fire and enabled them to get out.

“People need to get working smoke alarms and if they do have them it is a prompt to get them checked out.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page